Easter in Puglia - Ancient traditionsCredits: MolfettaDailyPhoto
The “scarcella” is the traditional Puglian Easter dessert, much loved by children and adults alike. It's not as fluffy as a cake, nor is it as firm as a cookie . . . it has a consistency somewhere in between the two. It's a heavenly mix of flour, eggs and sugar wrapped up in a soft dough that you can mold into the shape you desire. Popular forms include the egg or the dove, typical symbols of Easter, but don't let tradition limit you. Try making a scarcella in the shape of a heart, a dog, a person, or even an Easter bunny!
Easter in PugliaCredits: Flickr
Ingredients for 5 Scarcelle
Ingredients for the dough:
1 kg flour
300 gr sugar
100 gr olive oil
20 gr baking powder
2 tsp vanilla
milk, as needed
Ingredients for the glaze:
300 gr very fine sugar
1 egg white
Ingredients for the decorations:
- small foil-covered chocolate eggs
- colored edible sprinkles
Easter typical dessert: Scarcella, ApuliaCredits: Flickr
Directions for the cake:
1. Place the flour in a volcano shape on a pastry board and make a small depression in the center.
2. Break the 5 eggs into the depression.
3. Add the oil, sugar, baking powder and vanilla.
4. Mix together with your hands for a few minutes. Add warm milk as necessary to create a soft dough.
5. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin, then cut out the cakes in the shapes that you prefer.
6. Lay them on a baking tray covered with waxed paper.
7. Bake for about 10 minutes at 180° C (375° F).
Directions for the glaze:
1. Beat egg white until stiff peaks form and set aside.
2. Put the sugar in a small pan and cover it with water, cook over medium heat and stir constantly until the sugar melts.
3. Remove the sugar from the stovetop and put it in a bowl.
4. Add the beaten egg white to the sugar and continue stirring.
5. If the glaze seems too thick, add a few drops of lemon juice.
Easter DessertCredits: Flickr
1. Carefully pour the warm glaze onto your scarcellas.
2. Quickly press the chocolate eggs and sprinkles into the glaze.
All that's left to do is enjoy your delicious Puglian Easter treats!